Senior Project Manager
The Mersey Rivers Trust (MRT) is an environmental charity focusing on the protection and enhancement of rivers and waterbodies in the Mersey Catchment. It operates in an area covering Greater Manchester, Merseyside and Cheshire. The Trust works with partners, local communities and volunteers to deliver a wide range of projects including river restoration, reduction of flood risk by Natural Flood Management techniques, river monitoring, volunteer events (e.g. river clean-ups/invasive species control and citizen science), community engagement and education events, farm advice/plans and biodiversity net gain.
We have a vacancy for a Senior Project/Partnership Manager to join a dynamic and dedicated team who are committed to delivering collaborative environmental river-based improvements.
The Trust hosts three successful CaBA (Catchment Based Approach) partnerships in the Alt Crossens, Lower Mersey and Upper Mersey catchments. The role holder will focus on the hosting of the Alt Crossens and Lower Mersey partnerships in addition to working with other partnership groups and stakeholders in the area.
The role will also include leading a team of three project managers responsible for the development and delivery of a portfolio of environmental river-based projects in the Alt Crossens and Lower Mersey catchments, including direct line management responsibilities. The role holder will report directly to the Operations and Delivery Director and will be a member of the senior leadership team.
- Facilitate collaborative and effective coordination of the two CaBA Partnerships across the Alt Crossens and Lower Mersey Catchments.
- Work with partners to maintain, update and deliver the Catchment plans.
- Meet the key objectives and success measures for each catchment.
- To maintain and develop partnerships with stakeholders, including Environment Agency, Local Authorities, Natural England, local water company, other NGOs and community groups.
- Work with the Operations & Delivery Director and the Strategy & Development Director to prepare and manage budgets, provide input to the Trust’s business plan and strategic initiatives.
- To identify and apply for project funding to support delivery of our objectives.
- Undertake the day-to-day leadership and management of the Alt Crossens and Lower Mersey project delivery team.
- Maintain, oversee, and update all project delivery and reporting systems on time and to budget (including timesheets, expenses and monthly reports)
- Preparing and submitting applications to obtaining necessary consents and permissions (including Environment Agency Permits, Landowner Agreements and Planning Permissions).
- Build landowner relationships to secure necessary permissions to implement projects.
- Contribute to, and in some cases lead, the procurement process.
- Supervision of contractors and junior staff delivering works.
- Undertake site visits to monitor progress of works, keeping records and reporting onwards.
- Complete all necessary reports, and keep suitable records in line with the funding requirements and document retention policy.
The post holder will be home based with travel throughout the Mersey catchment. The applicant will need to live within or close to the Mersey catchment to facilitate regular travel to meetings, site visits and to regularly meet with staff. Remote working from other parts of the country cannot be considered for this role due to the need for regular face-to-face interactions and outdoor activities.
- Educated to degree level or equivalent, ideally in a relevant subject with a strong track record in environmental management and project management.
- Valid driving licence and own car, insured for business use.
- A confident and clear communicator with experience in leading collaborative partnerships and delivering projects with a variety of stakeholders and groups.
- Leadership skills; developing, coaching and managing teams.
- Experience of successful project delivery, including budget control and reporting.
- Experience in working with and managing external consultants and contractors.
The above represents a sample of the responsibilities and candidate requirements, please download the attached job description for the full information.
If you wish to apply, please send a CV (no more than two sides of A4) and covering letter (no more than two sides of A4), outlining how you meet the requirements of the person specification and job description and email to the Operations & Delivery Director of the Mersey Rivers Trust, Paul Henbrey ([email protected]).
Applications must be received no later than 16th June 2023.
Interviews will be held w/c 26th June 2023; venue and format to be confirmed.
If you would like more information on the role before submitting an application, you may contact the Directors: Paul Henbrey 07747 446103 ([email protected]) or John Sanders 07821 117396 ([email protected])
Download application documents
Senior Project Manager Mersey Rivers Trust (pdf, 356.428 KB)
- Organisation: Mersey Rivers Trust
- Salary: £34,000 - £38,000 dependent on experience
- Location: Merseyside/Warrington
- Closing date: 16 June 2023