Raw Sewage in our Rivers
Sewage is discharged into rivers across the UK and Ireland on a daily basis. This isn’t an isolated problem; it occurs up and down the country, affecting urban city centre rivers and pristine chalk streams alike. Our Sewage Map will help you find out where this happens.
We want to help you find out where sewage is discharged into rivers, enabling you to take action and to make informed decisions about where you swim, paddle, catch and play. Our Sewage Map below shows where the sewerage network discharges and overflows into rivers. Be warned: you might not like what you discover!
We've updated our map for 2023, but stay tuned for more updates in the coming weeks!
Is there sewage in your local river?
This button will open a full screen version of the Sewage Map, as well as a whole host of information including FAQs on sewage pollution.
This data is just the beginning, we want to see so much more on sewage pollution. We're calling for the following:
- We want to see live spill alerts on rivers from every water company, in a standardised format
- We want to keep the public informed on the true state of our rivers
And we are demanding governments act more urgently
What are we doing about it?
- We’re providing you, the public, with the latest spill data available so you can make informed decisions about your local river
- We’re calling on water companies to publish live spill data so we can see the full picture and hold them further to account
- We are demanding governments to act more urgently
How can you help?
- It's a gamble where waste from our toilets and sinks go. As our data shows, we can't assume sewage is being filtered or treated before entering a river. Don't risk it - remember only flush paper, pee and poo down the loo.
- Write to your MP and demand better for rivers
- Report any signs of a pollution to the Authorities
- Volunteer at your local Rivers Trust
- Share this information far and wide!
Sadly sewage is one piece of the pollution puzzle, learn more about pollution and read the State of Our Rivers report.
Read our position statements to learn more about what we believe in and what we are doing about it.